Sunday, February 14, 2010

Reactions - Andrew

This work has left me wanting to know more about behaviorism and verbal behavior but also much more about language acquisition and development. I feel like I have only the beginnings of an understanding of what Skinner posits and even if others like Chomsky disagree with what Skinner has to offer, I think that it is important to know this information as a part of the history behind language acquisition and development and as background to what we know and where we are at with these topics today.

One significant question that I have involves what is called “applied verbal behavior” and its counterpart, “applied behavior analysis.” I have found a fair amount of research on these two processes and how they were born out of Skinner’s and others’ work in behavioral theory. I have included two videos below that give some explanation of these processes along with two links to web sites where you can find additional information. The speech and language pathologist at my school, who is currently out on maternity leave, will return later this month and I plan on asking her for more information on these topics as well.

I hope to be able to better place my work on behaviorism and Skinner in context when I review the virtual presentations of my class colleagues. Another of my questions involves the greater context for all of the theories and theorists being studied by our class. I would like to learn more about each and how one complements another or does not as the case may be.

Based on what I know about language acquisition and development so far, it seems to be that there is much more at work to acquiring and learning a language than just our behavior as it interacts with and relates to the environment. There would seem to be a necessary cognitive piece that is both innate and able to evolve and grow. Skinner and behaviorism turned out to be a good place to begin my exploration of language acquisition and development as it may be the easiest theory to view in action since parts of it can be observed in the real world. I look forward to reviewing the other presentations and consequently learning more about language acquisition and developmental theory.

"Working with Autistic Children Using Scientifically Proven ABA-Verbal Behavior"



"Introduction to Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)"



Web sites:

No comments:

Post a Comment